4x2mi with 2 minute recovery

Shoot me if you must, but I copied this workout from Ben. My other workout option was not pretty so searching for something more interesting always makes the workout a little easier.

Then late last night an email popped into my inbox from Megan. She was planning to do the same work and wanted to know if we could hook up.

My answer was "Most Definitely".

So this morning at 6:30 AM we met at the PDS Track for our workout.

The temps were a little chilly being about 38 to 40 degrees.

Very quickly, we were off for a 2 mile warm up.

Then our activities moved over to the PDS track for 4 x 2 mi with a 2 minute recovery.

For these types of workouts, I am always a slow starter.

As a result it was no surprise that my first interval was my slowest.

I led the first interval in 11:59 and followed it with a 2 minute walk recovery.

Megan led the 2nd and 3rd intervals and I gave her a 15 to 20 second head start for each one. Being that I was running my intervals slightly faster, we would be finishing at just about the same time.

Clearly, I do better chasing than leading because I ran the next 2 intervals: 11:37 and 11:31.

On the final interval, I promised to go through the first mile in 6 minutes. I barely missed it – running a 5:58 and running 11:46 for the final interval.

Ben added something to Megan's work that I was hadn't known. But I didn't turn down the opportunity for some additional work so I joined her in running 4 x 200 strides with a very short recovery.

We finished it off with a 3 mile warm down.

Megan looked smooth and relaxed this morning. I think she will surprise even herself at how well she will run at OBX.

Note on dressing - being that it was cold this morning, I tried to dress accordingly. The only time I noticed the cold was during the intervals and in my hands. I wore those Mizuno Body heat gloves – just so everyone knows.

With just 3 more weeks until OBX, my legs and body are starting to come around. Toning down on the cycling miles has really helped. My legs have had more pep this morning than they have had in months.


 

Tales from a Track Runner

Comments

Coach Spencer said…
Sheesh. I used to do workouts like this a few years ago, but sounds impossibly hard now. Guess I'm lazy. Good job.

Popular Posts