1:39 AM Oct. 29, 2009 and I cannot sleep

There are only 10 days left until OBX and I am already having trouble sleeping. I wish I could say it was due to the prerace anxiety but it is not. No, it is for something which I fear is far worse. Potentially, it is an injury that could keep me from running OBX.

This all started last Saturday when my daughter and I were moving some chairs at my house. Well, I believe that is when it started. While we were moving them, I hit my quad with one of the chairs. It hurt for a moment and then I didn't think any more about it.

Sunday, while running with the group I noticed my quad felt rather tight and had a dull ache. But I attributed it to nothing more than it being a bruise.

Monday, I noticed it was really stiff when I went for my run and when I ran downhill the dull ache was worse.b

Tuesday, I did a track workout with Megan and Caitlin and for the most part didn't have any issues. Only on the warm down did my quad start to really tighten up and dull ache returned when I was running downhill.

Today, I had 14 miler scheduled but I had to abandon it at 10 miles. I purpose kept the pace nice and slow. Through about 8 miles, the dull ache was manageable but between 8 and 10 it got to the point where putting any running pressure on just wasn't possible.

With a dejected look and my head down, I stopped running and slowly walked back to my car. Injuries have a way of doing this to us runners. One minute we have on an all time high and the next minute, we hit the bottom of the lowest valley on earth with no warning. This is just the very nature of the sport we love.

But now, I am at a dilemma.

What I thought was just a bruise must be something far more serious.

After months of preparation, planning, and training, I get all the way to my taper and get hurt. So it is understandable why my worst fear is coming true. I may not be at the starting line for OBX.

I started alternating ice and heat yesterday and continued the treatments today and tonight after I finished my run.

Up to this point, I have avoided taking any medication because medication mask the pain and if the pain is masked, I don't know when I have crossed the edge between continuing to run and stopping before I truly hurt myself.

Tomorrow, my plan is to seek some professional help.

Let's hope he can get me in this week and give me some positive news. I could use it right about now.


 

Tales from the runner in the valley.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bill,

Keep your spirits up, there is still plenty of time between now and OBX and "all the hay is in the barn" at this point so even a few days off entirely won't make too big of a difference.

See a professional and know what you are dealing with and then get a course of action mapped out and execute, just like in training, and I'm sure everything will work out fine.

Best of luck,

Mark H.
Thanks, I am checking with Danenberg. I hope he can fit me in this week.

Keep your fingers crossed.
Mike said just have a deep bruise in the quad but it should be behind me by obx next sunday. I am trying to do nothing crazy between now and then.

Popular Posts