Winter Flight 8k

This weekend I am planning to run the Winter Flight 8k as my final tune-up race before heading to the Myrtle Beach Marathon in 2 weeks. That is barring Mother Nature putting the snow block on it.

I was hoping to make a strong run at the Master's Road Runners Club 8k Championship. But I am not so sure now. I emailed David Freeze who is the race director for Winter Flight and who I have known for years. He reply email made my jaw drop. He said there was a huge group of masters coming out for this event and he had talked to one individual who was planning to make a run at the State Record which is under 26 minutes. I was like "Wow". I cannot match that kind of effort. Maybe I could push down into the 27s but there is not a snowballs chance of me running a sub 26 minutes time – no pun intended considering the expected weather conditions on Saturday morning.

But I am not deterred. I will still go into the race and run hard. If conditions are bad and I think it only plays into my hands because the race will turn from a speed effort to a strength effort. And with my marathon training, I am less like to wear down if we are prodding through the snow.

Check back to my blog on Saturday afternoon to see how I did.


 

Cool Down Runner.

Comments

Popular Posts