Born To Run

Just a few minutes ago, I finished reading Christopher McDougall's book "Born To Run". So while everything is still fresh in my mind, I wanted to get this post out.

A while back I heard several runners discussing "Born To Run" so when I ventured by Borders Book Store last week, I picked up a copy.

I thought I was going to be reading about the Mexican Runners called Tarahumara. But the book only gives a brief glimpse into the Tarahumara people and their running.

Chris's book tells story of Tarahumara's encounters with Americans and American culture as well as American Ultra Runners heading south of the border for race with the Tarahumaras. Throughout his book, Chris weaves into the story line stories of other runners and coaches as well as some of the science of running to explain a lot about the history of running what makes us able to run as we do.

I found the stories to be both interesting and sometime even funny. Some the stories go into such detail that many times I had to flip back and reread some of the pages two or three times to clearly understand the concepts Chris was explaining.

But what I really got of the book is some people truly love to run and thoroughly enjoy the feeling derived from running. Through his book, Chris tells of people who have truly found that inner peace that so many in this world are in search of. I think this is so true whether you are a Tarahumara runner, an elite runner, or someone who just enjoys going their front door to feel the air on their face.

If you get a chance, swing by the book store and pick yourself up a copy. I am promise you that it will be worth the read.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Anonymous said…
I always enjoy when you review a running related book. Thanks for doing this. I have been lucky, and been able to check out all the books from the public library.
Thanks, I appreciate it when people post comments. It encourages me to keep doing.

-btw - I like your suggestion about the library. Maybe I should get myself a library card. :)
Anonymous said…
I'm wearing the Vibram's because of the book! Revolutionary stuff much in the way that Moneyball was for baseball...thanks, Stephen
I guess you are a big fan of Barefoot Ted. :)

We need to hook-up for a run so I can see how you run while wearing them.

Popular Posts