5x2 mi. followed by 6x200m strides

The temperature was a little late dropping into the 20s this morning but it did make it. Not to be deterred, I headed out for my scheduled workout of 5x2 mile with a 2 minute recovery followed by 6x200 meters with 10 second recovery.

I wanted to do this workout on the track but for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to go to a track so I headed over to the world's largest tread mill a.k.a "The Huntersville Business Park Loop". This loop is about 2 miles in length, has plenty of street lights, and has a nice wide pavement area for runners to use.

I was hoping for a speedy workout but things don't always work out the way I want. The first couple of intervals went pretty well, but on the 3rd interval, I started tying up. The tying up got worse during the 4th and 5th intervals and slowed my times by about 10 seconds.

I finished off the workout with 6 x 200 meters strides. They were not pretty but I completed them anyway.

Once the tying up starts and lactic acid sets-in, you just have to work through it as best you can.

In hindsight, I should have probably pushed this workout out another day or two. This would have given my body more time to recovery from my ½ marathon on Saturday. Sometimes, I try to do the same things that I did when I was 25. While the mind is always willing, my body knows better and sooner or later raises an exception back to the brain.


 

Tales from the Cool Down Runner.


 


 

Comments

Popular Posts