Cold Weather/Heart Attack

This morning as I laid on the floor doing my core workouts before heading out into the cold, I was listening to WBTV news. One of the stories, they discussed was the relationship between cold weather and heart attacks. It seems that the cold weather causes body to constrict the blood vessels to keep the body warm. Based on what I gathered from the news story this can induce a heart attack when combined with strenuous activities

Here I was about to go out into the cold and do a strenuous activity – running.

This brings to mind the story of a friend - "Brian Trotter". A few years ago he was running with several friends when he had a heart attack. Luckily, they knew CPR and saved his life. He was fortunate that he wasn't running alone when the heart attack occurred.

This makes me wonder if we all should run every run with someone. I don't how many runs that I have done alone and on remote trails. If something had happened, it would have been days or maybe weeks before someone might have found me.

If you are out running the next few days, you should do the following: stay warm and run with a buddy.

But rest assured, since you reading this post, I returned safely. Years of running the cold weather teaches you how to stay warm and yet not get too hot.


 

Safe Journeys to you from the Cool Down Runner.


 

Comments

Popular Posts