Uwharrie Year End Banquet

A few years ago I joined Uwharrie Running Club and when I can, I make the hour or so drive over to Albemarle, NC to partake in their activities. Last night was my first opportunity to attend their yearend banquet.

80+ people came out which is an awesome showing. The banquet was held in the fellowship hallow of the local church. The club provided the ham and everyone brought a side dish or desert.

Yours personally brought two side dishes and a huge appetite.

Looking at the serving table, there was plenty of food, deserts, and drinks for everyone.

The evening started off with a few introductions and points of order, and then everyone was turned loose to eat.

Honestly, I would take this type of dinner over and professionally done buffet dinner.

Peter was circling the room like a politician talking with everyone as he moved from table to table. I hope he got a chance to eat but I doubt it.

On a side note, I have to give him major kudos for all he puts into both running community and this club.

After a great dinner and some good conversation, there was a final good bye to the '09 Club Officers and an introduction of the new club Officers for '10.

There was also a discussion of the 101 and 202 running classes as well of the creation of two new classes 13.1 and 26.2 which are targeted at preparing people to run either a ½ or full marathon.

Next, they moved to handing out the mileage awards. While we already know who achieved their goals, getting the opportunity to be seen and recognized in front of your peers is something special.

Next, came some video presentations from the numerous races and events put on by the club.

As the meeting drew to close, I got my change to catch up with a few people that I had only met by email, facebook, or at a race.

All clubs should be so lucky to have such active members.


 

Definitely, the drive over was well worth it.


 


 

Tales from the Cool Down Runner with a full tummy of food for the drive home from Albemarle.


 

Comments

Popular Posts