3x3m with 2x400 between each tempo

This morning I headed over to my favorite parking spot of the Mallard Creek Greenway only to find that it has been roped off. This was really disappointing because now, I had to circle back and park at the Y.

Well, when you get handed some lemons, you just need to make some lemonade.

So I entered the Greenway from a different point and essentially run my 3mi. tempos and ¼s backwards from what I was expecting.

In reality, the workouts probably went a little better. The back half of each tempo had more of a down flavor to it which is always nice.

For the record, this morning I was pounding out the following workout: 3 x 3mi with 3 min recovery with 2 x 400 with 1 min recovery between each tempo. That makes a grand total of 10 miles of hard running on the greenway.

Unfortunately, I walked out the door without my heart monitor this morning so I was basically going by feel and my breathing to judge how well I was doing.

My goal for the workout was to run just a tick under my goal marathon pace and which was about what I did. The really nice part now as I look back this workout was that I ran each tempo progressively faster. But this makes sense, since I am notorious for being a slow starter.

Friday I have a 10 mile tempo and follow it up Saturday with a 24 mile run. Then, next Tuesday I am doing an alternating 1 mi., 2mi, 1 mi., 2mi., and 1mi.

This makes for an interesting last 2 week of running before I start my taper into the Myrtle Beach Marathon.


 

Tales from the Cool Down Runner


 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nice workout Bill, some AT work for marathon fitness and some faster intervals for stride economy. Looks like you are firing on all cylinders!

- Mark H.
Thanks, I have navigated to these type of workouts in the last year. In the past, I would just do the 3x3 mi. but when I throw in the short stuff, it makes the pace of the longer stuff feel easier. Best of all, I seem to run each one progessively faster.
Stanfords said…
When is someone going to teach old man Hadley how to sign in to Blogger so he doesn't have to leave his comments under 'anonymous'? :-)
Mark Hadley said…
Darn blasted technology. LOL :-)

Popular Posts