Putting my affairs in order

Myrtle Beach Marathon is now less than 3 weeks out so it is time to focus on those last minute tasks. So I thought it would be a good idea to share some things that are on my plate with everyone.

We all pretty much get the fact that we want the last week going into a marathon as easy and stress free as possible. To make this happen, we need to start making plans early in the process.

This brings me to my own preparation.

  1. Make sure all of my travel arrangements are in place: hotel, rental car. There is nothing like finding out at the last minute that there are no cars available or your room has been reallocated. Also make sure I have my confirmation numbers. In this case, I am printing out my car and hotel reservation numbers.
  2. Shoes and Running clothes for race day. This weekend I was over to TrySports where they hooked me up with some new Brooks Racing Flats. My plan is to give them a test run this weekend at Winter Flight this weekend. Assuming everything goes well, I will use them at Myrtle Beach. But if it doesn't then, I have time to get a fall back plan in place.
  3. I am heading down a day early so I will be running in Myrtle Beach. This means that I need to pack extra running clothes and shoes. Also if you are staying over a day, the same rule applies.
  4. Start checking the Race website. Look for any last minute updates, schedule changes, and/or course changes. Anything can come up at the last minute. The sooner that I am aware of the changes the less stressful it becomes.
  5. Race Day Gels or Energy Drinks. I like the Power Gels – Chocolate flavored so I hit my local TrySports store to pick them up early. This avoids crossing my fingers that they have them at the expo.
  6. Depending on the race that you are entered, you may have received letter that needs to be presented at packet pickup. Or if you registered online, take a copy of the receipt with you. It is always good to have proof when they cannot find your name at packet pick up.
  7. Sleep, there is nothing like it. I will start trying to hit the bed ½ hour to an hour early. Sleep banks can be built up and used the night before a race. I rarely sleep much the night before a race. I usually to anxious.
  8. Start checking the weather. Usually www.weather.com does a 10 day forecast, but by looking at the currents conditions, you can get a sense of the average temperatures.
  9. Finally, start making a packing list. This helps keep you from forgetting something like extra safety pins, glide lubricant, etc.

And remember, keep the week before as stress free as possible.

Some marathon planning tips from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great list. If you are traveling out of town to a race make sure you know where the race starts. Do you have to drive to the race and worry about parking? I have done Myrtle beach, and they have a lot of bus shuttles that take you to the start and back to your hotel. Good Luck at Myrtle Beach. It is always a good winter get away and hopefully the weather will be warmer there than the Charlotte area during the race weekend.
Cody said…
Good Stuff Bill. One suggestion: Hold Down Ctrl + C and then Ctrl + V (Copy and paste) all this stuff to a document and publish it in a book one day. No kidding. People are getting tired of reading the same runners world articles every 36 months. Your legend continues.

Popular Posts