Tips for Running when the snow and ice is everywhere

After the 38 miles and 5 hour of running on snow and ice this weekend, I believe I have earned my introductory running license to give some advice on running in these conditions.

So here goes.


 

  • My first piece of advice is be safe. But if you are tempted to test yourself outdoors then be careful.
  • Expect to run slower
  • If you have a reflective vest, you should wear it. Visibility for drivers is always difficult and adding a reflective vest can make the difference between being seen and not being seen.
  • Choose low traffic roads, business parks, and/or developments – Developments work better because they tend to have nice wide roads and people don't tend to speed.
  • If the ice looks smooth go around it.
  • Choose ice that looks rough or is snow covered because it gives more traction to your running shoes.
  • If you are going to be out doors for hours, choose a course that puts the last ½ of the run with wind at your back. A cold head wind late in a run will chill you to the bone.
  • If your hands get cold, try the "Grabber Hand Warmers". I usually get the 10 hour brand and slip them into my gloves about 10 minutes before I head out the door. My gloves stay toasty warm for the entire run.
  • They also make a brand for the feet, but I don't use them for a couple of reasons. Number one, I don't like the lump feeling in my shoe under my feet. And, two, my feet just never get that cold during a run.
  • If the wind is really blowing, go with the ski mask. If there is not much wind, try the Vaseline on the face.
  • Running on ice is much like trail running. I use my hands and arms for balance.
  • If you do fall, take a second feel out your body. If nothing seems to be hurt except your pride, you can try getting up and walking first. Then if everything seems fine, try taking a few running strides.
  • Take a cell phone along – just in case of a fall and you cannot resume running – it gives you a life line.
  • Many times the wintery roads tend to narrow up so you end up running closer to the traffic. Make eye contact with the driver and give them a wave and a smile. You would be surprised how much room they will give you when you try this approach.

Hope these tips help with you with your running,

They certainly helped the Cool Down Runner this weekend.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Mark Hadley said…
Great tips Bill! Thanks for sharing.

Popular Posts