Last Intense work before OBX 3x2mi with 2 min recovery

Well, all of the hard efforts are done and there is nothing more to do now but run some easy miles and rest between today and Sunday morning.

Because in the predawn hours of this morning, Megan, Caitlin, and Jay came along for either all or some portion of my last intense workout - 3x2 mi.

Jay joined in for part of the first 2 miles. His recovery appears to be going well from Marine Corps Marathon.

Caitlin was doing some 4,3,2… etc fartlek workout so she jumped in at different sections both in the first 2 mile and the 2nd 2 mile interval. She looks ready to rock the OBX ½ marathon so you other ladies watch out for her.

Megan and I were doing the same workout. She was sticking to the marathon pace efforts that her coach prescribed to her. At the finish she didn't look winded and had a smile on her face. It is great to see that kind of enthusiasm.

Personally, there were not set goals heading into my workout this morning. With my quad still feeling a little tight, my efforts were going to be done by feel alone. Feeling really good means running faster than marathon pace. Feeling bad means running marathon pace or slower.

Feeling tight and less than smooth during the first interval, my first 2 miles were in 11:15. Feeling a little better and a little more warmed up, my 2nd 2 miles went by 11:14. But the 2nd effort felt way easier than the first interval.

With two nice ones in the bag, my goal for the 3rd 2 mile effort was running marathon pace. Keeping track of the splits, my pacing stayed within a second of 90 second quarters for all 8 laps. My finishing time was 11:59.

Overall, I am very pleased with my workout. My first couple intervals showed, I am feeling nice and strong. The 3rd intervals showed me that I can lock in and run marathon pace even if I start a little too fast.

If my quad continues to recover, maybe the planets will align on Sunday morning.


 

Tales from the JC Smith Track


 


 

Comments

Popular Posts