Charlotte Turkey Trot 8K Recap

The Charlotte Turkey Trot 8k kicked off at 9 AM this morning at the South Park Mall. After being way from this race for several years, I decided to return this year.

I knew I wouldn't be in the greatest shape but the opportunity to burn some calories and spend time with other runners was just too tempting.

So a little after 7AM this morning I headed across town and arrived about 7:35.

The parking lot was empty but filled up fast as the race time approach. And it emptied just as quickly after the race.

After picking up my packet and making the usual pre race stops, I headed back to my car to change over to my warm up gear.

Steve Spada and I joined up for a 2 mile warm up. It was nice to catch up and hear about his New York Marathon race.

Then, it was back to change over to my racing flats and head to the starting line.

The Turkey Trot 8k is one of the biggest races in Charlotte with 6000 runners. There is something awesome about being surrounded by 5999 people who share the same interest as I do.

There would be no splits from today's race. I started put on my Garmin but then, I laid it back in the car. Today, it was about running by feel.

From the start, I spotted Steve just ahead of me.

Followed him for about ½ mile before passing and then followed Logan for about one and half miles. We passed Shonts along the way. Then Chaz Hinkle came by me just before the 2 mile. He was looking strong. I was not feeling the greatest, but I tried to stay with him.

Going up Runnymede Rd Chaz pulled me by several yards. Along about this point my Gluts were telling my brain that it was time to slow down. Believe me I really wanted to slow down. But once we were back on Sharon Rd. I thought I could recovery.

I was able to get back to his shoulder. However, my legs were just about maxed out. I thought I would feel better once we rolled over the top on Sharon Rd. But when we hit the downhill section, Chaz put it into another gear. At this point, I could not match his effort. I don't think it was conditioning that held me back at this point because I was not in an anaerobic state. More or less, it was the legs just didn't have that extra gear that I needed. Understandably, I really didn't expect to have this extra gear. After all, my focus had been on OBX and with only 2 ½ weeks between OBX and this race, there was no opportunity for doing any speed work.

The gap between Chaz and me grew to about 40 seconds over the last mile and half.

One other runner came by me with about ½ mile left in the race, and this last ½ mile is pretty tough section. While it is not steep, my legs just didn't want to run up hill at this point.

Steve, Brian, Paul, and Aaron ran with me for another 3 miles to cool down after the race.

I had heard a lot about Turkeys being given away but I really didn't know what they meant until I saw the awards. The overall and master's runners get a trophy shaped like a Turkey. If I had known about this unique award, I might have dug a little deeper. Just kidding, I didn't have any more gears today.

But I did post something on Chaz's facebook wall. I congratulated him on his race and told him that I would be back next year. I was going to make a run at one of those Turkeys.

Then, it was time to head home and prepare for the Thanksgiving dinner.

I want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and to thank you for reading my blog.

No one ever said that I was a great writer, but sharing about my passion for running is something that I enjoy very much.


 


 

Tales from the Cool Down Runner on sharing a moment with 5999 friends at the Charlotte Turkey Trot 8k

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great race today Bill, especially less than 3 weeks after OBX. And it was great to chat for a few minutes afterwards.

- Mark H.
Richard Hefner said…
Those carved turkey awards for the overall winners were great. I saw you right after you were walking away with your award but with people in front of me I couldn't see if maybe you had one. The beveled glass plaques or whatever they're called that were given to the 8k age group winners were pretty nice (although nearly unreadable), but did you notice that the trophies for the 1-mile fun run? They were the nicest trophies I've seen all year!
No, no turkey award for me. but maybe next year.

And, the mile run awards were nicer than some of the awards given by other races around town this year.

Go figure. :)
Anonymous said…
Gotta tease the 1 mile runners into thinking and get more of them to sign up for future runs. More runners, less work to manage the race.

Popular Posts