4 Days until OBX

Over the last few weeks when I wasn't thinking about work, I was thinking about my race strategy for OBX. A few weeks ago, the race director sent out a list of master's runners running the OBX marathon. As I scanned the list, I noticed some really good runners in the list including some runners from here in Charlotte.

But one runner's name jumped out. I knew him from the race last year.

At that time, he was 39 and so he would be running in the master's ranks this year.

And given, that his marathon times were about 3 to 4 minutes faster than my times, I had been running through all sorts of strategies.

Should I try going with him in hopes of holding on and hoping that one he would pull me to a much faster time and two potentially if he tired, I could beat him. Or should I run a more sensible pace and try to run him down in the latter stages of the race.

Just about every scenario left me with the same thought; what I should do.

Then, yesterday, the race director sent out an updated list and his name was not on it. He had dropped out of OBX. Now, all the time that I spent planning a race strategy had just went out the window.

Given he wasn't going to run what would or should my race strategy be.

Definitely, my goals have not changed. I am still shooting for a sub 2:40 and I think I can definitely do it if the weather cooperates.

But sometimes, we put way too much thought into it.

Sometimes, it is nice to race like I did when I first started racing. I toed the line and raced by feel alone.

That's the way running and racing should be – by feel alone and that is what makes running one of the most exhilarating and exciting activities on this planet.


 

Tales from a runner just having fun.

Comments

Popular Posts