After my Tobacco Road Marathon Course field trip, I started laying out my race strategy. As I was doing so, I wrote down some bullet points that I thought others might be interested in reading.
Here's my list:
- Watch pushing too hard on the long down hills
- Remember the up hills are long and gradual so manage your effort accordingly.
- Watch the footing in the Tunnel. During my tour it had a little mud to maneuver around.
- Pay attention at the green gates – especially if they don't open them
- Something that was not an issue for me, but did come to mind. The clocks spring forward this weekend so there is a good chance that the start will be in the dark or at the day break. We might be getting ready in the dark. Let hope they have the lights on at the park.
- If you decide to wear your racing flats, tread lightly at the road crossing and at the turn around points. This is where some of the biggest rocks are located. Then there is ¼ to ½ segment on the north end which is worst of the entire course.