Running in the Rain

Many times during my running life I have enjoyed the opportunity to run or race in the rain. I thought that I would share this experience with everyone. I remember running in Huntington, WV during a heavy rain. The water was so deep during the run that you had to wade from side walk to side walk. The water was probably 4-6 inches deep. My shoes felt like they weighed about 10 pounds each. I remember another time racing Oakhill, WV. The race was a 5 miler. I remember the rain coming down so hard that I tried to warm up under a car port. The race director walked out with an umbrellia. I remember him saying that it was a wonderful day for a race. Everyone waited until the very last second before bolting to the starting line. The race director gave us a few quick instructions and yelled go. I remember running hard and feeling drenched by the 1/2 mile. I also remember crossing the finish line with a smile on my face. As much as I hate getting my shoes wet, I love the feeling of accomplishment when I finish at run in the rain. I am some times soaked. I am sometimes covered in mud. I am sometimes so cold that I can barely move. But, these runs give me something that I cannot get from other runs. When the conditions are at their worst, mentally and phyiscally I feel it makes me stronger as a person. Later when I need it, I can draw upon this toughness to see me through any situation. So when weather looks terrible outside, don't let it stop you from running. You should use these opportunities to build that inner strength that we all need.

Comments

Popular Posts