China Grove 5K 6.13.08 Recap

China Grove 5k is a small town race held in China Grove, NC. It is about a 30 to 40 minute drive for me from Charlotte heading up I85.

The race starts at 9pm and has a great turn out of runners. They also do a great job with prerace packet pick up, running the race, post race food and drink and awards.

This year they had people calling the splits at every mile. Everyone was wearing chips. After the race there was loads of bananas, watermelon, and catalope. I certainly had my fair share. The results were posted and the awards were given out by 10pm.

Considering all of the above, I wished that I had raced better. I ran 17:13 for the race which was slower than last year. Even the weather was much better this year.

My splits were 5:19, 5:24, and 5:45. I then ran 43 seconds for the final .1.

I felt good through 2 miles. However, in mile 3 I really trailed off.

Based on the data from my Garmin heart monitor, I pushed over 180 just around 2 miles and this was just about the point where my legs started to tighten up. And once I start to tighten up, I pretty much know I am done racing.

Overall, I finished 3rd but Bob M. and Robert B. were well out in front of me. Stan (fellow TrySports Runner) ran 17:46.

Btw - This year they gave away a running t-shirt. I like this idea as I will a ton more use out of a running short than regular cotton t-shirt.

Comments

Popular Posts