Super Compensation Training cycle complete

For the last two weeks, I have been working through a super compensation training cycle. During this 14 day cycle, I ran 175 miles.

  • Two long runs: 20 and 24 miles
  • Two tempo (or race) runs 5 miles and 10 miles
  • 2 hill workouts: 8 x 1 min. and 8 x 2 min.
  • A fartlek session of 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 with ½ recovery
  • 1 road fartlek: 8 x 2 minutes

Between these days I usually did an easy recovery run covering some distance between 7 miles and 16 miles at or near 8 minute pace.

Also not to be left out, I have been on my bike. During the first week, I rode 76 miles – roughly 25 miles per day on M-W. The 2nd week, I rode roughly 20 miles M-W. One occasion, I jumped in with a group for their ride, but most days I just rode alone. Most of the rides, I try to average about 17 mph. These rides don't need to be too hard because they are basically recovery rides from my morning running workouts. Th-Sunday, I skipped riding my bike because I was either running a tempo or racing on Saturday.

By Sunday when I finished my 24 mile run, my legs were completely spent.

But now that it is over, I can concentrate on my taper for OBX which is in just 3 short weeks.

This was the first time that I tried something like this cycle. Most programs use a 3 or 4 week cycle and spread the workouts out more. But my feeling is that if I can push really hard for 2 weeks then break for a week, I can come back again with another hard 2 weeks. Mentally, it is easier to handle because you don't push to the point where the legs really want nothing but rest.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner.


 

Comments

Popular Posts