How did you decided if you were going to run the Boston Marathon

Well, I heard this morning that all of the open slots for the Boston Marathon are now filled. To those that got their qualifying time and got in, please accept my congratulations. For those that didn't get in or are still working toward their qualifier, hopefully this just provides more motivation to training harder and to attain their Boston goal next year.

As many of you know, I have been on the fence about doing Boston for some time now. Even when the registration process opened yesterday morning, I wasn't impatiently waiting for the registration button to be enabled. Secretly, I guess I was hoping it would fill up before I checked the web site and I then could use that as my excuse for not registering.

1pm rolled around and I tried accessing the registration web site. Sure enough, it came right up. Maybe the stars were aligning or something. Anything is possible.

Sitting at my desk, I pondered what to do.

So I reached into my pocket for a coin. "Heads" I go to Boston, "Tails" I don't. And, no, it wasn't a 2 headed coin. It was just good old hard American coin currency.

I would flip the coin only once and let lady luck direct me where I go next. Up in the air the coin went. I caught it in my right hand and immediately slapped it across to the back of my left hand. I paused for just a second and then uncovered it. "Heads" I was going to Boston.

At this point, I went through the registration process and clicked submit. I was registered.

Some people may look at my decision making process and think ill of me, because of the trials and tribulation that they are enduring in their quest for their ultimate goal of running Boston, but then, I shared how I decided to enter Boston. Before you judge me too harshly consider the number of other people that entered Boston and to what end they traveled in their decision to enter Boston.


 

Comments

Good for you ... and good luck. Folks can think what they will. Bottom line - you earned it.
Anonymous said…
You did not earn your entry into Boston by a "fluke" PR race. Your finishing time for most marathons that I seen you in would have qualified you. See if the 'granddaddy" of all marathons is all that it is cracked up to be. All of us who follow you, know that you have not committed lightly. You will go with a goal in mind and take this race seriously. Looking forward to following your Boston training and ultimately reading your Boston wrap-up.Good Luck!
Thanks for all of the positive feedback.

And, now that you mention goals. Pete K. has already put a goal out in front of me. When he was 45, he ran 2:39:58 at Boston. So he has already thrown a carrot up in front of me to chase.

Popular Posts