So So 16 miler

Going to bed Monday night, I had high hopes of what Tuesday would hold. Boy, did yesterday turn out just the opposite.

The morning started when my alarm went off at 4:01 am. But before I could roll out of bed, I heard the rain pounding against my roof.

My plan was to run with the Miner's Group but running at a wet, soaked, and possibly pouring Mc Alpine didn't seem like the best of ideas.

So I pushed the alarm to the off position and went back to sleep. I guess that is where my day started to go downhill.

I woke a few hours later and did a quick catch up on work email from the night before. This was followed by core workouts and weights before pulling myself atop my bike which was setting on my trainer for 1 ½ of riding.

Then, it was off to work where I was jumping from one task to another and from one meeting to another. I started to wonder if I would ever get finished.

Sometime after 5pm, I finally was able to push away and head out the door for 16 miles. Initially, I had plans for doing a 5 mile tempo, but in the first mile I realized that was not going to happen. But I thought I might be able to muster enough mental strength to do 10 x 1 minute after a solid warm up. Except that after 6 miles, neither my brain nor body seemed willing to pick up the pace.

So I just prodded along until I had finished all 16 miles and return home. I grabbed a quick bite and headed off to bed. Why prolong the day any longer. Hitting the bed early means that tomorrow I will most likely rise early, fresh, and ready to go.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts