The Shirtless Police

A few weeks ago, Theoden wrote on his
blog about going shirtless while on a run. After reading his post, I added a post with my own thoughts on my blog. Pretty much, the topic died at that point until an email popped into my inbox a short time ago.

One of my friends was running through the parking lot at the Y when a security guard approached and instructed him that he needed to be wearing a shirt because of the children at the Y. Now, I have been running at the various Ys in Charlotte for years and have never heard of this policy. I have never been stopped either by Y staff or by people posing as Y staff about this topic. On top of this, I am not sure why a security guard would be acting as the fashion police or decency police depending on your point of view.

Now, granted while I am in the Y I do wear a shirt. I try to wear clothing appropriate for the area, but once outside and the temps are on the 80s+, the shirt has to come off.

As for children seeing a man without his shirt, if the children at the Y are anything like my children, they did not even notice it. Only adults seem to notice. Funny how that works, children don't judge but they just accept things as they come.

Comments

Anonymous said…
A shirt requirement policy doesn't seem to make sense because most of the YMCA's have pools with many children at the pools and they don't require men to wear shirts at the pools.

So somehow we are to believe that if kids see a man without a shirt at a pool it won't affect them but if they see a man without a shirt in the parking lot it will scar them for life.

I hate it when organizations make rules that have no basis at all in logic.
I like your comment and I wish I thought to say it that way. :)
barethomas said…
It's unfortunate that shirtless runners still face this sort of quasi-discrimination, when all we are doing (yes, I'm one too) is staying fit and ultimately keeping everyone's taxes to a minimum by requiring minimal healthcare 'propping-up'.

Popular Posts