Long Runs in the Summer Heat

Yesterday, I was out running a long run with my TrySports teammates. For most of the run, I was feeling pretty good but as I turned toward the finish with two miles left, I could feel my legs growing very heavy. This heaviness forced me to slow and drop off their pace.


 

Now, no one likes to be dropped and I was little disappointed that it happened. But as I reflected upon it later in the day, getting drop was not such a bad thing as long as you understand why. In my case, I have been logging a lot miles both running and cycling. This has left my legs in a very tired state. And, I know Ben, Mike, and Megan are all in the good shape. Something else that I thought about was even with tired legs it took them nearly 16 miles before dropping me.


 

So if you are out there running in the summer heat and not feeling the best, it is okay if you drop off the pace. Not everyone is going to be feeling strong every day and with many of us prepping for a marathon, we are all going to be a little more tired than usual. And remember, the day that you really want to feel good is on marathon race day.


 


 

Comments

Popular Posts