Shirt vs. No Shirt

I have not met Theoden in person yet, but I did see him at the CTTC Summer Track meet Tuesday night. If you are not familiar with Theoden, he is the Entertainment Editor for the Charlotte Observer. He started running last fall and according to his blog, he is or plans to cover the Charlotte running scene. I am still waiting on this to happen but then that is something to blog about at another time.

Any way back to the point, Theoden has been hitting the local racing circuit and writing about it plus a few other topics. Being new to running, he is attempting to bring a new runner’s perspective to the transition of non runner to runner.

In his most recent post, he addresses the topic of going topless. To be specific he discusses going shirtless for men and a sports bra for women.

Since I on occasion will run without a shirt, I had to throw in my two cents. And putting my comments in his blog just didn’t seem like enough for me.

To be honest, I never gave it a great deal of thought until reading Theoden blog. Growing up my dad regularly went without a shirt during the summer time so I guess I just came by it naturally.

So when do I run without a shirt. Well, once the temperatures cross the 80s barrier, I usually lose the shirt. When I am running with a familiar running group, I will lose the shirt. When I am racing, I will lose the shirt. Usually, I like to stay as cool as possible when racing. On the other hand, if I am running with a new group, I usually wear a shirt. Maybe it is just the fact that I am meeting new people or maybe I am just not ready to share everything on the first date. :) Being a little shy on the run is not a bad thing.

Do I think it okay to run topless or with a sport bra. The short answer is yes. This is a free country and as long as you are not bothering anyone so be it. And along with saying this I have seen plenty of ugly painted houses. Not one time have I went to the door and suggested the owner paint it.

Live and let live.

Comments

Popular Posts