Not ready to race 4 miles this weekend

Okay, it has been three weeks since my last race. Just about the only thing that I have done well is eat and lay around. Well, partially, I have been swimming, biking, and running but mostly only when I feel like it.

And, the hardest that I have run 3 weeks was with Ben last week for 10 miles. It didn't really feel hard, but then, it didn't exactly feel easy.

Pretty much I am going into this race expecting a drop. If I am able to keep Steve and Mark in sight, well then, I will consider it mission accomplished.

With all training you go through peaks and valleys. July is usually a valley for me. After running and racing hard for the entire spring and early summer, July is the month where I let my body and mind bounce back. The body needs rest from being pushed hard while the mind needs rest from the intensity of constantly trying to run on the edge without breaking something. Under any other circumstances, I would not even race this weekend, but with it being a GP race and a double points and I feel that I have to do it.

Moving on, all of this easiness will end in a few weeks. I will be starting my marathon training come the first of August. Looks like I will be headed back to OBX again this year. It will be the first time that I have done the same marathon course twice. Hopefully, luck will be on my side and I will post a good time. Maybe I can run that sub 2:40. I will be limiting my races for the remainder of the year and dropping the 50k that I ran last year. Really, I think the 50k 4 weeks and 15k 3 weeks before the marathon sunk me. I never really recovered and was pretty tired going into the marathon. Runners are some of the smartest people on earth, but when it comes to running sometime we do the dumbest things. I count myself among the dumbest.

Comments

Richard Hefner said…
Reminds me of a couple of the "Runners Commandments" I read recently:

"Getting out of shape is much easier than getting into shape."

And this one...

"Don't trust runners who show up at races claiming to be tired, out of shape, or not feeling well."

Just kidding around Bill, but I know that on a bad day you can still run rings around 99% of us on a good day, so you'll be in the thick of things I'm sure.
You comments make me "laugh out loud".

-btw I wasn't going to say anything about being sick and/or tired.{;-D

Popular Posts