Your Ideal Racing Weight

Just when you think the world cannot get any smaller it does. I started a quick little case study this week to check my weight before and after my morning runs.

I wanted to see how much perspiration that I was losing during my workouts. For these numbers, you can check the table below. Basically, I found that I was losing about 1 to 2 lbs depending on the workout and the intensity.

But this leads me into a related topic.

Then, this morning I saw a column at the NY Times web site about running and your Ideal Racing Weight which is part of the reason that I track my weight daily during my focus training periods.

Nothing motivates more to watch my diet than looking at the scales each morning. Running well and running fast is closely related your weight. Weigh too much and you lose time from the extra pounds. Weigh too little causes a lack of strength which prevents you from reaching goals.

So finding the ideal racing weight – unless you have been tested – means watching the scales and comparing it against your race performances.

For me, I like to race somewhere between 145 and 148 depending on the distance.

Before a marathon, I will get my weight down to roughly 141 to 142. If you are wondering why, well the answer is simple. Once, I am carbo loaded, I will have probably added 1 to 2 pounds which brings me right back to my ideal racing weight. Meaning I am at the weight where I feel that I will run my fastest times.

Try tracking your weight and watching your race times. See if you can determine your ideal race weight.


 

Date

Pre Workout Weight

Post Workout Weight

Workout

2/1/2010

145

143

12 mi(8 mi. tempo)

2/2/2010

142

140

14 mi.

2/3/2010

140

138

7 mi.

2/4/2010

140

137

10 mi (16x400)

2/5/2010

138

137

7 mi.


 


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts