And with no race to run.

5:30 AM, I am should be getting ready to head out for the Myrtle Beach Marathon. Instead, I will be heading out for a run in the snow and maybe catch up with a few other hard core runners that don't let a little snow dissuade them from a run.

But what I can say, this is a huge disappointment. Tons of hours were logged getting ready. Hundreds of miles were either ridden or run to make me fit and now, no chance at racing.

However, you cannot point finger and argue with the race organizers or the City officials of Myrtle Beach for their decision. The safety of the runners, the volunteers, and the others helping with the event along with the family and friends of the runners that would come out is paramount.

They are talking about sending out refunds, but then they have spent most that money on the event already. That said, I am not really expecting a refund, but I did see where they giving out at the "House of Blues" the finishers medals.

A nice gesture would be to mail everyone their finisher medal. I would be happy with that approach. I could use it as a motivational tool for my upcoming races.

We see what happens.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner with no marathon to run

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm with you. I drove down from Charlotte to do the marathon. I went out this morning and did 10 miles. No different than what I been training on since Christmas. I am checking out of my hotel and heading home. The finisher metal would be nice, but I am not going to stay in town and wait until 4 pm just to get the metal. Mailing it would be a nice gesture. I'm sure if it was offered to entrants, many would not accept. But I am like you, I have done this race previously and will come back. Just wish they had waited until 8 or 9 am to hold the race. The runners would have been able to decide if they felt safe or not to run. Some runners would have stayed in, but many more would have run and enjoyed the challenge. Having read your blog for a while, I know you were prepared for a good run. There will be other races, but some people will say MB won't be one of them.
I understand what you are saying. It was a huge disappointment for me.

Not sure if I will return next year.

A year is along time and might decide to race else.
Spot said…
Dang...I was right there with you! This was going to be my Boston Qualifying marathon...I headed out and ran 16 with friends. Also picked up my finishers medal...but it is empty so I think I am going to give it to one of the children who see me in therapy.
Yeah, some times you have to turn lemons into lemonade the best way that you can. Looks like you had a good time with your friends.


You were smart to go by the finish area. I missed that part. But I did email the race committe and they said that they would send me a finisher medal.

Popular Posts