Myrtle Beach Marathon is finally here

Wow, I cannot believe how time has flown by so quickly. It seems like just yesterday that I finished OBX and made a foolish decision to sign up for the Myrtle Beach Marathon.

December was tough month. I cranked up mileage and then ran the USAT&F XC Team Championships. I managed to get through December and not put on a ton of weight over the Holidays.

Then, the first of January I decided to pop out and run a ½ marathon to check my conditioning. That effort went well with 1:17 time on a solo effort and being a very cold day.

From that point, the rain and snow played havoc with my training plan.

Running in the cold was terrible. Running in the freezing rain was horrible. Running on the snow and ice was even worse.

But then, between the rain and snow, I slipped out for a Minor's Run or two which was great. Nathan came out to motivate me through several track workouts which I really appreciate.

Then, I started on my massage plan and got a little too much deep tissue work which made my back very, very sore. That's a mistake and note for future to not repeat.

Now, I set here less than 24 hours away from the Myrtle Beach Marathon. My back is still little sore, but everything feels good. I feel like I am primed and ready to go.

I will load down my back with Bio Freeze in the morning and do some light stretching to help dull the backache. When the race starts, I will just have to push that pain out of my mind.

But then there are the weather conditions, they have moved back the start to 7AM from 6:30. Somehow, I am not sure that 30 minutes will make that much of difference but then what do I know. I raced in 22 degree temps and ran in cold, rain, sleet, and snow. If I am not mentally tough for the conditions, I may never be.

For my goal of a sub 2:40 marathon, I have no idea now. The weather conditions will play a huge factor in everyone's race tomorrow morning.

Honestly, I will go out and take what the course and Mother Nature gives me. If I am strong enough to overcome the course and conditions, I will get my sub 2:40. If I am not, well, then, there will always be another marathon.


 

Thoughts of the Cool Down Runner on the Eve of the Myrtle Beach Marathon.


 


 

Comments

Popular Posts