Charlotte Long Course Duathlon Race Recap 2.27.10

Well, first of all, today's race was a lot of fun but much harder than I expected. I made a lot newbie mistakes which is part of the learning process.

I held my own decently in the runs but I was way out classed on the bike. Maybe I should suggest a 10 mile, 10 mile bike ride, and 10 mile run and let's see what happens. LOL

We started with two laps around the WWC on the gravel road. It was little nippy. And I wondered why so many people wore the extra clothes.

The transition area for the run to bike really got me. I spent probably 3 or 4 minutes just getting out of the transition area. I had been practicing changing shoes and putting on my helmet. But I neglected one fact. It is a lot harder to do when you out of breathe and looking for your bike. Not to mention, someone had bumped my bike so my helmet and clothes were scattered on the ground. Then I dropped my glove getting on the bike so I had to go back and get it. Like I said, there is definitely a learning curve.

Once into the bike, I never seemed to find the right groove and there was a steady stream of riders passing me. Oh, I forgot to mention, I got one jacket zipped but could never get the other one zip so I just road along with it open.

I wonder if other runners look at me the same way as I look at other cyclist. So many of them make it look so smooth and easy. I feel like I am just stomping on the pedals. Each one that passed me I watched how they were positioned on the bike and what gear they were riding – always learning.

My only saving grace is that I could ride up the hills decently well so I could make up a little ground. But on the flats and down hills, it was like I was setting still when they passed. Tom T. passed me at one point and I swear he seemed to have rocket boosters on his bike.

One really nice point about the bike course is that the Police were excellent. We could roll through every intersection.

As I neared the bike finish I had one minor glitch. With 100 yds to the transition area, my chain came off. So I had to huff it in my bike shoes. Never want to do that again.

On bright side of the bikeride if there was one I rode a little over 30 miles and averaged about 19 mph which is faster than I have ever ridden before – and with no drafting – so I guess I am getting a little stronger.

Once in the transition area for the 2nd time, I did a little better. It took about 1 minute 30 seconds to change.

Then for the next mile, I ran with 2 numb feet. It took that long before I guess the blood returned to them.

When I compared the 2 runs, I was only 30 seconds slower on the 2nd run and really didn't feel that bad. I was passing a lot of the cyclist that had passed me. Also I was able to catch back up to Tom who was probably several minutes in front of me coming off the bike.

In the end, I finished 24th overall and 2nd in my age group. My time was 2:15:45.

And, it was lot of fun and I think that I will definitely do another one.

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner after his first Duathlon.


 

Comments

Popular Posts