3x2mi. with 2min. recovery

Rolled out bed – although not easily – my lower back has been stiff and sore the last couple of weeks– to check the weather around Charlotte. The weatherman said that the rain was going to hit Charlotte this morning. However, I was crossing my fingers that the rain would not arrive in Charlotte until after my last track workout. Otherwise, it would have been 3x2mi. on the tread mill at the Y. And most everyone knows my thoughts about taking that option.

Fortunately, the weather radar showed no rain in the area so I was in luck.

I finished up my stretching and headed up the Bradley Middle School track at 6:30AM this morning.

Still a little dark when I arrived, I circled through one of the nearby developments to get in a 2 mi. warm up.

Then, after changing shoes I headed for the track.

My back has been sore for about a week and bending/turning are difficult, but running once I get going seems to be only marginally effected. To explain it differently, in my right lower back just feels really stiff. It isn't painful but more like a dull ache that will not go away.

But let me get back to describing my track workout and not about me getting older with aches and pinas.

I took off on the first lap and felt really tight and stiff. I checked my watch at the 1 mile point – ugh 6:06. My first thought, I wasn't having a good day. But I continued to push onward.

When I stopped after the 1st 2 mi. interval, I hit on 11:52. Well, this wasn't too bad.

After a 2 minute recovery, I was off on the 2nd 2 mi. interval. I felt a little better this time and crossed the line in 11:44.

Two minutes seemed to fly by, and it was time for the 3rd and final 2 mi. interval. This time I just tried to relax and run as much as possible. I stopped the clock at 11:42 for the 3rd interval without too much difficulty.

I ran these intervals probably harder than I should have but I did it largely for confidence. With my lower aching, I needed to know how much it would hurt and if I can could stand it while running hard. I got the answer that I wanted "yes" so this means I will be at the starting come Saturday morning. Because at this point, there is nothing else to do but run easily, rest, and hydrate. Just look for the guy that has the smell of Bio-Freeze. J

See you at the Myrtle Beach Marathon starting Saturday morning 6:15 AM.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner.

 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Way to get through your last hard effort before your big race! Good luck on Saturday...Stephen

Popular Posts