Like Minded Runners

After they called of the Marathon, I saw a bunch of message board and face book posts that people were going to run anyway this morning.

I didn't know what to expect but assumed there might be one or two people out running this morning.

Heading out from my hotel, I made the circle around Broadway to the starting line.

Then, I headed out along the course. To my total surprise there was a study stream of people running the course.

And, they were not running on the side walk, they were running in the street.

Sometimes they were running 2 or 3 abreast and taking up the entire right lane of traffic.

I was passed multiple times by Police Officers and never once had any of them say anything to me.

Most of the drivers didn't seem to mind and moved over into the inner lane.

Most everyone seemed to know the course but a few didn't and asked me for directions to get them going again.

After a few miles I hooked up with this group of runners one of which was Tom Mathers. He is a doctor from Charleston, SC. And he is a very fast doctor. He recently ran 34 minutes for 10k and ran the Charlie Post 15 in 54:20 two weeks ago. Oh, did I forget to mention that he is 52.

Well, once we hooked up the miles began to speed by. When I got back to the hotel, I had just finished running 20 miles on wet, slick roads while dressed like an Eskimo in 2 hours 17 minutes.

While I didn't get to the marathon today, I got to meet some great runners and share some miles. So what looked like a miserable day at the start, turned into something a pretty nice run.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts