14 miles during the Miner’s Run

Through some Facebook messages and emails last night I was checking to see if anyone was coming out for the regular Tuesday morning Miner's Run. Steve, Paul, Stan, and Megan responded and showed up this morning despite the weather man calling for blowing snow and lots of freezing rain.

The footing at McAlpine is still treacherous in my opinion. Patches for ice and snow were interspersed with soft dirt, mud, and puddles. In a couple of sections the mud around the lake was worse than the snow. The mud seemed to build up on the bottom of my shoes. By the 3rd lap, I was running along the edge of the grass. In another section, I was listening to the conversations and not watching where I stepped. I proceeded to step right in the middle of a puddle – result a very wet foot.

But aside from the conditions, I was happy to get back out for this run. It is always nice to catch up with Steve, Paul, and Megan. However, I didn't get to chat with Stan. From the start, Stan was gone. It was actually kind of funny. In all of the runs which Stan and I were a part of I can never remember being dropped by him. But I should expect it. Those early morning runs are a big motivator for him and it is good to see him pushing himself.

Steve has been doing some hard training and I look for him to have a big year on the GP circuit.

Paul is gearing up for a race in a couple of weeks here in Charlotte. Look for him to be in the low 16s.

Ran the last five miles with 5 miles with Megan, I was clearly holding her back. Or she was just taking it easy on me. She dropped off just before the 14 miles mark so she could pick up some extra miles on the greenway.

I headed for the parking lot and finished with a Tabata workout in the rain.

One more long run and two more hard workouts are on the schedule before Myrtle Beach. But the primary task for me is rest and hydrate.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner


 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bill...it was great to have you come out and take part in the miners run! It is great to hear first hand how you methodically structure your marathon training as I was listening intently to pick your brain (and maybe even pick up some tips!). Best to you next weekend...Stephen

Popular Posts