Labor Day Weekend Challenge - Recap

Wow, what a 3 day weekend.

Everything started off with me heading down to Anderson, SC to run the Midnight Flight 5k and 10k races on Friday night. Having Ben, Megan, Dan, and Val along for encouragement had me surging all out for the 5k and getting a new season best on a course which is somewhat tougher than the Greek Festival Course. Then coming back some 40 minutes later and running the 10k race when my body and mind wanted to go to sleep.

Returning home and getting into bed at 4 AM only to get up 2 hours later for a 10 mile run with Peter B. Thanks to Peter for putting up with me. And, I did come back to rest after the 10 mile run, but only for a little while. This was the last weekend for the outdoor pool to be open and I didn't want to waste it. The water was doubly good as I got a chance to do some swimming and the cool water temperature felt great on my tired muscles.

Sunday morning my running started at 6:15 am and would continue on the trails at Ann Springs for about 3 ¼ hours. I totaled about 23 miles. Mike and Chris, thanks for showing me the way back to the parking lot. My morning run was followed by a climbing excursion at Inner Peaks Climbing on Monroe Rd. in south Charlotte. Definitely, rocks climbing gives the upper body a workout like nothing else.

Labor Day morning, I was up early again and knocked down 7 miles on the North Meck. Trail before heading over to "Pedal the Park" charity ride in the Huntersville business park. By now, my body and legs were like an over cooked steak – very much well down. But thanks for Cody and Janna for pulling me along, I never quit and completed the ride in 3 hours and 50 minutes.

In summary, I spent/ate or drank

  • About 20 hours driving
  • 7 hours running
  • 1 hour swimming
  • Almost 4 hours riding
  • 4 hours rock climbing.
  • 65 dollars on race and ride entry fees
  • 70 dollars in gas
  • 10 power gels
  • 4 power bars
  • 3 powerades
  • Unknown quantity of water
  • Got 2 t-shirts
  • 1 very nice blanked at Midnight flight
  • 1 towel at Midnight flight
  • 1 Frisbee
  • 10 bagels


 

In hindsight, I may make some changes before my next Labor Day challenge. I will probably only run 1 race i.e. the 10k next year and I will definitely stay in Andrew, SC. That driving back after the race is for the birds.

For the Sunday long run, I will make sure we don't get lost this time.

Maybe I will opt for just the 30 mile ride rather than the 60 mile ride.

On second thought, why should I change a thing? I was surrounded by people that enjoy the same thing that I do and were having fun while doing it. I had a great time and have some awesome memories that will last forever. Well, maybe I will change one thing. They have a 1 mile race at Midnight Flight. Maybe I will add it.

Guess we all have to wait until next Labor Day to see.


 

Comments

Popular Posts