Hammer Gels - Review


A few weeks ago, I received an email from the organizers of the OBX marathon. The email contained the typical type of runner information.

However, there was one thing that did standout. The OBX marathon is partnering with Hammer Gel for the ’09 ½ and full marathon. Participates in both races would have an opportunity to consume Hammer Gels at several points during the race.

Hammer Gel is replacing Power Gels used during the race last year.

Normally Power Gel is my preferred in race nutrient replacement food.

But with OBX switching over to Hammer Gels, I am considering changing. This would allow me to forgo carrying any Gels with me doing the marathon.

Stopping by REI last weekend I picked up the Apple-Cinnamon and Vanilla flavors. REI also carries Hammer Gels in the Espresso flavor with caffeine but I didn’t use it during this initial test. Hammer Gel does provide other flavors but REI didn’t have any of these on hand. For those I will have to venture by TrySports who carries the entire line of Hammer Gel products.

I have to say I was not overly impressed.

I tried the Apple-Cinnamon packet first. The quantity of Hammer Gel seemed to be smaller than the Power Gels. The taste did have an Apple-Cinnamon flavor but for some reason it tasted stale.

Next up 1 hour later, I tried the vanilla flavor. Same situation occurred. The size seemed smaller and had the same stale taste.

Now, I cannot be totally sure that this was not the result of a REI having these Gels on hand for too long. Therefore, I plan to do a follow up test but with some packets that I pick up at TrySports.

On the bright side, other than the taste my body seemed to react no differently to the Hammer Gels which is actually a good thing.

After the next round of testing, I will decide if switching over to Hammer Gels is in the cards for me.

If you are planning a fall marathon and plan to take any gels offered during the race, don’t wait until the race to try them. Check with the marathon organizers to see if there is a preferred Gel offered during the race and then go by your local running to store to pick up the same Gels for test. Nothing is worse than finding your body doesn’t react well to a Gel during your marathon.

Comments

Popular Posts