Hit the Brixx 10k 09.26.09 Rewind

Saturday morning saw me up and leaving the house early. Hit the Brixx 10k started at 7:45. But at 6:30 the race volunteers were still trying to setup the registration area.

With the sun coming up later and later in the mornings, they were using a camping lamp to provide enough light so they could match the runner's names to their numbers.

Fortunately, a few other runners joined me in arriving early. Bobby Aswell and Greg I. hung out until everything was ready.

Around 7:10 I hooked up with Steve Spada and Mike B for a few warm up miles. We usually try to do the first and last miles of the race course.

It never hurts to be prepared and knowing the starting and finishing areas is a good habit for runners.

Upon returning, I made a quick switch in my 2XU racing socks and flats in prep for the race. A very slight drizzle was falling and while the temps were in the 60s with the little breeze blowing, it actually felt cool.

A few more strides were used to finish my warm up and I joined everyone at the starting line.

Tim gave a few last minute instructions like

  1. Don't trip over the raised rubber bump in the road
  2. Runners, Baby joggers, and well chair athletes would all start at the same time.

With is last instruction I thought it was a little strange. Typically, they start at least 1 to 2 minutes ahead of the runners. But this time, they were all bunched on the starting line right in front of most of the runners.

Luckily, we had a good clean start.

Steve Spada and I speed through the first mostly downhill mile in 5:27. We were quickly joined by Milt Matheny. Milt stayed with us for the next mile before dropping off.

Steve and I continued on for another mile before he decided to let me go.

To be honest, I was not pushing the pace. I simply held the pace that we had been running the entire time.

Around 4 miles, I could see Alejandro a head and appearing to have a tough day.

Just before 5 miles, I caught Alejandro and passed him.

Aaron and Mike B. were well ahead of me so there wasn't much chance of catching them in the final mile. Later I learned that Aaron didn't wear his chip so he wasn't scored in the finishing order. I guess note to self – "make sure that you have that darn chip on"

Crossing the finish line, I turned around to see who was close. To my surprise, Billy Shue was just crossing the finish line. He was followed by Brian McMahan who turned a cart wheel while crossing the finish line and Steve. They were followed by Mark Cox and Bo Jordan – both of which have been really improving this year.

After the race a few of us gathered for a final couple of warm down miles. As we were finishing Milt tripped over something and went down hard. Thankfully, he didn't draw any blood.

Other news and notes from the race:

  1. While there were a plenty cones and volunteers on the course, there were some spots with no one watching traffic and one spot where the policemen allow the runners to go straight when they should have turned.
  2. Some people commented about there was only one water stop on the race course
  3. Snickers Bar – major kudos to the Snickers Guys. They let me get one of each type. I test tried them on the way home and the taste was okay as a pizza and pasta chaser.
  4. Brixx needs kudos for the pizza and pasta. I was major hungry after the 10k and the pizza and pasta hit the spot even at 9 AM in the morning. Maybe Pizza Hut, Dominos, and Little Ceasar's should try offering a breakfast pizza.
  5. Billy Shue ran his first 10k and PR with a 36:35. – Fantastic Job man.
  6. Jay our birthday boy, fearless leader of the Charlotte Running Club, was nearly hit by a car. He came away with no injuries. His birthday luck was holding.
  7. Parking Deck, first don't pull into a park spot if you are expecting to leave early. Try backing into the spot. People leaving were lined up several levels and didn't seem particularly interested in letting me back out.
  8. Brixx will validate your parking ticket so there is free parking for race. All that you had to do was go up to the bar and ask.
  9. Pizza Cutters for awards. I heard some griping about the awards being the pizza cutters. Are pizza cutters and puzzles somehow related? I suspect Lung Strong will be giving extra lungs out. Wonder if I can get my lung before the race. Think how much faster that I would run.


 

Comments

Richard Hefner said…
Good recap Bill! I was one of those griping about the pizza cutter for an award. Oy! Last year's Hit the Brixx awards were really nice medals.
If we are going to continue with these sponsor themed awards, I am hoping we can bring on some car sponsors or maybe a tire sponsor.

I could use 4 new tires for my car.

Popular Posts