Double 3000 Mile Club

As we move into the fall and the year nears the end, runners tend to look at their log books and take stock of the number of miles run.

To date, I have run 2309 miles this year and ridden 1975 miles. With four months left in the year, I thought that I would set a new goal for myself: Double 3000 mile club. Maybe you are setting there thinking "what is a double 3000 mile club?" Well, since this is a personal goal, I have created some very simple requirements for achieving it. I will need to run over 3000 miles and ride more than 3000 miles for this year. Both are lofty goals considering that I work for a living in something other than being a professional runner or cyclist athlete.

To reach my 3000 miles of running this year, I will need to average 172 miles for the next 4 months. Considering that I have averaged 240+ miles for the first 8 months, this should be an achievable goal for me barring any injuries. And if you add on the fact that I am ramping up for OBX, let's hope I am running well more than 240 miles per month.

Now for cycling, I will need to average 256 miles each month to reach my 3000 mile goal. While cycling 256 miles per month is easier than running 256 miles running, it might be the more difficult part of the goal to achieve. Unlike running I don't cycle every day. I generally only hit the road cycling 3 to 4 days per week. And I don't want to start cycling every day for a very good reason. I have enough streaks i.e. running as it is.

But if I can stay injury free and continue to train well, I should hit my running goal around November and potentially hit my riding goal sometime in December. I will lose a few weeks of cycling during my taper for OBX and a few other races that I am dong in the fall. But otherwise, I will definitely get my cycling workouts in.

So this is my goal for the end of the year.

Is anyone else setting some goals for the fall?

Comments

CL said…
Goals:

Worlds Throwdown- Sept 26th
OBX half- Cut down race for the 1st time

I want to find a fast 10k as well to drop a new PR maybe. I think I may go backwards and work on knocking out a couple of cold 5k/10k's this winter, while increasing my swimming.

Popular Posts