Labor Day Challenge – Made Harder

This morning I had intended on running 20 miles with my regular running group. However, I was planning to start a little earlier due to some other planned activities for the day.

So around 6:15 this morning, I arrived at the Springer Complex in Fort Mill. Taking a few minutes to change into my running socks and long run shoes, turning on my Garmin, and getting my new head lamp position, I was off and running.

I bought a new head lamp. This new lamp is much brighter and uses AAA batteries. The only drawback seems that it is a slightly heavier than my old head lamp. But I will trade the weight for the brightness any time.

After just a couple of miles, I decided to circle back to the complex and was passed by Mike Beigay arriving to meet me at 6:30.

With Mike joining in, we headed back out for a few more miles.

Then, about 30 minutes later we circled back by the complex to pick up Megan, Ben, and Jay. It was off again for another 30 minutes before circling back by the complex one last time to pick up Chris L., Dan, and Val among others before heading out for a long loop on the trails.

With the leaves shading us from the sun and the cool temps, the running conditions on the trails were absolutely fantastic.

My legs felt tired but they were still feeling decent.

One of the reasons, that I love these runs it that there are so many conversations to listen to. So many of my runs are solo, when I get a chance to run others it is always a pleasure.

After about 2 ½ hours, Mike, Chris and I turned back for the complex while everyone else continued on for more running.

Arriving back at the complex, I had totaled about 22+ miles by the Garmin. Based on my experience using a Garmin on the trails, I suspect the total was closer to 23 miles in 3 and ¼ hours of running – 18 of which were on the Ann Springs trails.

Setting here now, my legs are totally beat. Those extra 3 miles were rough and I was never gladder to get back to the parking lot.

Big thanks to everyone that help pull me through a long and hard run. You helped me get through a run that I might have otherwise cut short if I had run it alone.


 

Comments

Popular Posts