When to change your workout to a different one

When I got up this morning, I looked at my scheduled workout for today. 8 x 2 minutes with 1 minute recovery was the workout of the day. But for some reason, I could not bring myself to strap my Garmin to my wrist and head out the door for a run on the pavement.

Instead, I opted for heading up to the North Meck. Trail for a fartlek workout. Normally, when I do a fartlek workout on the trail, I run the benign sections hard and the difficult sections easy. This makes for a nice workout. Some time, I have a really short and intense run and sometimes, I have hill or longer runs.. It all depends what the course gives me.

While my legs felt tired and just a little sore, I was able to get in a good workout.

That's why I decided to do a post on it.

Sometimes, when you don't feel like during a particular workout, it is okay to change it.

Fartlek workouts provide great alternative workouts. There are no real rules to a fartlek workout. There are no set distances and no set times.

Everything is just effort based.

I found fartlek workouts often turn into some of my best workouts of the week.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts