Experia Merion Wool/Silk vs. Experia CoolMax

This past weekend during the Tar Heel 10 miler I took the opportunity to test drive the Experia Merion Wool socks from Thorlo.

Those of you that know me know that I am big proponent of Thorlo socks. I have run and raced in them for years and they have always treated my feet well. Only recently did I switch over to the Experia CoolMax socks and have used them successfully during my last marathon.


Well, a few weeks ago, Tracy Harris the Marketing Coordinator for Thorlo sent me asking if I would be willing to test drive their new Experia Merion Wool/Sick sock. I jumped at the chance.

Below is what I found.

Experia CoolMax – Thin Cushion

Experia Merion Wool/Silk – Thin Cushion

Cost: $13.99

Cost: $16.99

Designed for: High performance runners, cyclists, hikers and fitness walkers who prefer a minimal amount of foot protection.

Designed for: High performance runners, cyclists, hikers and fitness walkers who prefer a minimal amount of foot protection.

Fiber Contents:

  • 66% CoolMax®,
  • 20% Nylon,
  • 13% Polyester
  • 1% Elastic

Fiber Contents:

  • 34% Polyester,
  • 33% Merino Wool,
  • 19% Nylon,
  • 13% Silk,
  • 1% Elastic

Colors:

  • black
  • lime
  • olate blue
  • olate lime
  • olate orange
  • olate pink
  • olate yellow
  • orange
  • orchid
  • pink
  • red
  • royal blue
  • turquoise
  • white
  • yellow

Colors

  • brick red
  • celery
  • charcoal
  • chestnut brown
  • forest green
  • khaki
  • pink pizazz
  • sunset orange
  • wild blue yonder


 

Feeling both socks with my hands, I can feel the subtle differences in the material but when I put them on my feet the Merion Wool Socks felt and worked exactly the same as the Experia CoolMax socks. Coming out of my 10 miler my feet were blister free. And for a runner, there is nothing better than being blister free.

On a personal note, I would like to see the Merion socks offered in the same colors as the Experia Cool Max socks.

If you are looking for Thorlo Socks and you are near Statesville, NC drop by their store. It is the best place that I have found to check out their entire line of socks.


 


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner


 

close

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi, Tracy from Thorlo here. Thanks so much for doing the review and comparison of the two Experia products. This is great feedback. I agree the colors in the Experia Coolmax are "cooler", but with the nature of the fibers, it is not possible to get the same effect in a merino wool/silk blend. I know we are getting into summer now, but when cooler weather approaches, let me know if you can tell a difference then with the Merino Wool/Silk blend.

On another note, we are already in preparations for the Charlotte Thunder Road Marathon. Hope to see you again in Charlotte this year.

Take care,
Tracy
Tracy,

I know you sent these to me to test drive while running, but I actually found that I use them more for cycling.

Cycling shoes tend to fit a little differently than running shoes. Also your feet tend to get colder on chilly days.

Using the Merino socks give me that extra padding that I am looking for in my cycling shoes and does appear to keep the cold at bay during my cycling rides.

Just some extra food for thought.

Popular Posts