12 miler with 12 by 1 Minute with 1 Minute recovery

This morning, I was pounding out the miles at Mc Alpine. Nothing was special about this work out. I covered 12 miles with 12 x 1 minute with 1 minute recovery thrown in the middle.



Throwing in surges in the middle of a semi long run is something that I have been doing a lot of lately. I am finding that it really helps with my general condition and race preparation. First, because these work outs are done on the roads, I am tackling the same type of terrain as I will see in races. 2nd, because I am doing timed runs vs. running for a explicit distance, I am teaching myself to run by feel which is closer to what happens during a race. Point being, when was the last time, a race director marked off a 5k or 10k with quarter mile marks.

One final point on surges during a semi long is on leg turnover. By throwing in the surges in the middle of a long run, my tired legs get some zip put into them. In addition, it gets me out of just trudging along at a much slower pace. Something that I fall into way too often.


 

Just some food for thought during your next long run.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner


 


 

Comments

Popular Posts