Fred Lebow – New York City Marathon

Early this week, my next DVD arrived from NetFlix. I opened it to find a documentary by Judd Ehrilich on Fred Lebow the founder and director for many years of the New York City Marathon.

To be totally honest, I have heard of Fred Lebow and knew that he had directed the New York City Marathon, but then this knowledge, I knew nothing else.

The document was quite interesting as it detailed Mr. Lebow's life and put specially attention around his efforts with the New York Marathon. Mr. Lebow's attitude toward life and running that I think my of us runners can identify with.

There was a ton of footage from the early race days and many of the early runners shared their thoughts on Mr. Lebow and the New York City Marathon.

If you get a chance and have a NetFlix account, add this DVD to your queue. The DVD is named "Run For Your Life". Ironic isn't.


 

Occasionally watching TV – thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Anonymous said…
I watched this movie several months ago after seeing it listed in Runner's World magazine as a recommended running movie. Fred was quite a character. Very good history lesson on what running was like in the 70's and 80's when "No Pain, No Gain", was the running mantra! Would highly recommend it. There have been some very good running movies and books lately.

Popular Posts