Tar Heel 10 Miler Race Recap 4.10.2010


On Saturday, I traveled to Chapel Hill, NC to run the Tar Heel 10 Miler race. I chose this race for a couple of reasons. First, the USAT&F 10 Mile Championship was being held in conjunction with this race and 2nd, I felt because I was running in the Triangle Area, this race would have plenty of fast competitors.




After debating all week, I decided on driving up Friday night and staying in a hotel. Using the mindset this would give me the better opportunity for running well than driving up early Saturday morning.


On a side about the hotel, it was terrible, but putting the hotel aside, I was glad that I did drive up. The opportunity to pick up my packet on Friday night and then drive the course was definitely a plus.


Just from the course preview, I knew the course would be tough. Rolling hills started from the very first mile and culminated with a very tough 9th mile and a somewhat but less tough 10th mile.


Saturday morning some 4000 competitors besieged the available parking around Chapel Hill. I had chosen one of the designated parking areas which were about 1 mile from the starting line. Clearly not everyone parked in this lot because this lot was not full.


Following my normal warm up routine, I ran the mile from the parking to the start and back. Then, I changed over to my racing flats for the final mile back to the start and to complete my warm up.


The Tar Heel 10 Miler was using the chip behind the number timing system. This was my first time using this system. Notably, the bibs tend to be quite large and you cannot fold them down because it might impair chip capture either at the start or the finish.


The other interesting point, the timing crew hung wires over the starting area. I am assuming this is to capture your chip number as you pass underneath. Although, they were quite low and I had to duck under a few of them. And, I am not that tall.


Cutting throw the crowd so I could get near the starting line, I saw a couple of familiar faces: El Mostafa Damaoui from Rabat, Morocco and Dwight Jacobs from Greensboro, NC. El Mostafa Damaoui had run the Tobacco Road Marathon a few weeks ago with me well okay a head me. We chatted for a few minutes. Then, I turned around to see Dwight Jacobs. Dwight and I have known each other for a few years – ever since he started coming down to run the Grand Prix Series in Charlotte.


Both the 4 and 10 mile races started at the same time. It was difficult to discern who was in what races. At one point, some yelled that I was in 17th place.


At the mile, I was not feeling that great. There wasn't any bounce in my legs.


Just past 3 miles the 4 milers turned off and headed for the finish in Kenan Stadium while 10 milers continued straight on Cameron Ave.


Crossing over the 5 mile point on Franklin St., the thought suddenly occurred to me that today would have been the day to run the 4 miler.


I was in "No Mans" land with no one in sight in front of me.


I made turn at just before 8 miles to start up Laurel Hill Rd. Man, I hit that hill literally. Talk about being a steep hill. Looking around there had to be a rope or ladder handy to climb it.


In my post prior to this race, I talked about the hill in the Spencer Mt. race. Now that I have run this hill, I actually think it is steeper and maybe longer.


The first ½ mile of the hill completely sunk my legs, but just before going up hill again we got a short downhill reprieve and my legs and body suddenly just felt better. I dug in and focused on running the tangents.


Over the last mile and half I felt so much better.


I cruised through the tunnel and ran the loop around Kenan Stadium field.


Definitely, having the finish inside the stadium was nice. Lots of people were cheering as we circled the football field.


The race crew were handing out 10 mile Medals and water bottles to everyone. I grabbed a bagel and banana and headed back to my car.


Swapped out my shoes and did a few more miles before calling it a day for running.


The cool down was quick so that I could head back to the stadium and cheer on the other 10 mile finishers.


The awards came right on time for the 4 mile race, but the 10 mile results were delayed until Sunday morning.


Some of the 10 miler runners decided to switch races at the 4 mile turn off without officially changing races.


This totally skewed the results of the 10 mile race. The race director came out to tell us that they would be posting the results much later in the day and would be mailing out the awards to us.


Mid Sunday morning an email arrived with the Overall finishing order and the age group break down.


My effort brought me home 7 overall and 1st Male Master. In addition, I took home the 3rd place in the Open USAT&F race as well as being 1st in the USAT&F Male Master.


Looking at the time, I walked away fairly happy with the result. The Tar Heel course is pretty hilly and my legs just have not bounced back from my marathon.



Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner







Comments

Stephen Spada said…
Bill...great recap, great race!

Popular Posts