Waxhaw Town and Country 5K Run Race Recap 4.30.10

This evening I was off to the rare Friday night race in the Charlotte area. I hadn't previously planned to run the Waxhaw Town and Country 5K Race, but when TrySports came on board as a sponsor, I felt that I needed make a showing.

Got there a few minutes early so I had some time to hang out and chill with a lot of the TrySport crew that I don't get to see very often.

The race course starts on the main street of Waxhaw and makes two loops – one small and one large.

The first loop is pretty flat while the second loop has a couple of pretty nasty hills.

Three guys from Wingate took the pace out pretty hard with Kent falling in behind them. Kent moved into 2nd place a little past the 1 mile point. I finally passed two of the three Wingate runners about a mile and quarters into the race.

From there I was chasing Kent. I closed a little on him through 2 miles but then we hit these nasty set of hills. I couldn't make up any ground on him. In fact I probably lost some during the file ½ mile.

Kent finished 2nd to the Wingate runner who ran 16:59. Kent finished in 17:33.

I finished in 17:50 – good enough for 3rd overall. Although, the course measured long by at least 1 tenth of mile. So I can probably assume that I would have been at least 30 seconds faster on any other course. On a side note, the Wingate Runner ran 16:02 last weekend so most likely there was some extra distance in the course.

My splits were 5:19, 5:30, and 5:45, and 1:16 for the final 10th.

Picked 30 dollars in gift certificates from TrySports for my efforts.

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts