Unofficial Aid during a marathon

This morning I wanted to share something that happened during my running of the OBX marathon. At the time, I was more frustrated by it than I am now, because I was in the moment and being in the moment tends to heighten one's level of concerns.

I was just a few miles into OBX when I joined into this group – running with 3 other guys. Nothing really new about this, runners will often form packs and work together during race. As I was running with them, I took note that they must all be running together for reason since they each were wearing the same type of singlet. It was easy to assume they were together as part of some greater plan.

We chatted briefly – exchanging names and goals for the race.

Then, we settled in for long haul of working mile after mile.

Maybe 4 or 5 miles into the race, this guy rides up on this bike and starts handing them fluids and gels. A few miles later he appears again and then during the trail section he appears giving them aid during the race. At this point, I had dropped back so I cannot say if he continued this trend throughout the race. And, I will not make any assumptions either way.

Whether they sensed my concern at this rather overt effort of support is unknown. They did offer to share their drinks with me.

Similar to the group mentality when doing something contrary to one's expected belief system, viewing the action from an individual's perspective the action is viewed negatively, but if everyone shares in the wrong, the behavior somehow seems acceptable.

For my part, I respectfully declined their offers. Drinking some else's fluids could have a detrimental effect on one's race performance.

But really to me, I have principles that I followed. I want to live and fall by my own accord.

If this type of aid had been offer to every runner in the race, then I would have gladly accepted it. But in this case, the aid was being provided for only a few and my conscience would not allow me participate.

Being clear about this is important. Taking gels, fluids, etc not provided by the race itself is acceptable but in my opinion under only one condition. I have to have them with me from the start. When the gun goes off, what I have is what have for the race.

For example, during my marathon I often take Power Gels, but I will only take the Gels that I am carrying or if it is offered by the race support crews.

After the race, I talked to those guys a couple of times. They seemed like nice guys. But I didn't mention the support along the course. Sometimes, the best approach is move past it.


 


 

Sharing one thought at a time,


 

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts