6 x 1 mile and 4 x 800

My hamstring has been feeling better and is allowing me to "somewhat" take on a few harder workouts. With this in mind, Megan and I headed to the track for another "monster" workout early this morning.

Her Coach sent a workout of 10 x 1 mile with 1 minute recovery. At first, I thought it was 10 by 1 minute which is not that bad. Thinking about it now, 10 x 1 minute seems downright easy compared to 10 x 1 mile with a 1 minute recovery. Ugh. We would probably have left blood, sweat, and tears on the track except that it was 30 degrees. Everything was frozen including the blood in my veins.

Okay, I had already agreed to do this workout so I had to decide on how much.

I finally settled on 6 x 1 mile with 4 x 800 which in its self is a pretty hard workout.

Megan and I would alternate leading miles for the first 6 x miles and then, I would lead out the first 800 of each of the last 4 miles.

My hamstring for once was not fighting me too badly, but I had no punch in my step.

I hit the first one in 5:58, then 6:00, 6:03, 6:13, 6:08, and 5:58 – each with a 1 minute recovery. All through these, my heart rate was running really high and was not recovering in 60 seconds.

I then lead out each of the 4 x 800 just under 6 minute paces. They were not quite as hard. The extra recovery helped. But I really felt like I was struggling to keep my head above water.

Megan, on the other hand, was killing the workout. The only mile which she did 6 minutes was the 2nd one. The remaining intervals she ran below 6 minute pace. That's a pretty tough workout even if you don't factor in the fact – she only took a one minute recovery. She essentially ran a 10 mile effort just under 59 minutes for a workout. I couldn't have done it even if you have given me 5 minutes between each repeat.


 

Sharing one thought at a time,


 

The Cool Down Runner


 

Comments

Popular Posts