15 miles + 2 x 3k Turkey Trot

I thought I would share a little of how my morning went today.

The day started off pretty good since I had it off from work. Next up, Megan and I headed out on the McAlpine Greenway for 15 miles at 7:30 pace. I started to get a little tired toward the end especially when she dropped the pace under 7 minutes for the last mile. My hamstring and hip just didn't have the get up and go. One of these days, the healing will be complete and once again, my legs will feel like digging at the dirt beneath my feet.

After we parted, I headed over to CDS to run with my daughters. The school was doing a 3k race for each grade so after chasing one lady around for 15 miles, I moved over to chasing 2 other young ladies for two 3k races.

Becca's race was first up and when they said go, she launched off the line like a rocket sprinting down the road. Maybe a quarter mile later, I finally caught up to her. My legs struggled to resume running after my earlier efforts.

Becca's is only 9 years old and doesn't run much beyond what they do in her class. But she stayed strong. She stopped at both water stops along the course and was the first girl in her class to finish.

And just as I was finishing Becca's race, Natalie comes sprinting up to me and tells me that her class is about to start their 3k race. No rest for the tired, I jog over to the start again. Natalie and I are standing there as they give us a few last minute instructions.

I say to Natalie – let's take it out slow. To my surprise, she listens to me. Possibly it is the first time ever. The rest of her class takes off sprinting, but by ½ mile, we are passing her class mates in droves.

Natalie's runs the entire away and doesn't take any water. She finishes as the 2nd girl in her class – just behind the first place girl.

The school was lucky today because this morning was absolutely perfect for them to have this run. Most likely, they will have this for years to come.

For those that don't know my daughters don't really run. So a few weeks ago, they told me about their schools Turkey Trot race and asked if I was come down and run with them. There were a few butterflies in my stomach when they told. I have been waiting years to hear them ask me this question.

I try to be different from most parents. I don't push my daughters to do sports. If they ask me about trying a sport, I tell them that I will support their efforts. Running really has never been one of the sports that they have wanted try. They seen me run well and win races, but they have also seen me limping around and icing down various parts of my legs. Definitely, I am not a poster child for a running endorsement.

That's partly the reason that I was so ecstatic about running with them today.

Running may never be the sport they enjoy doing but as long as they are active and healthy, I will be happy with whatever they have a passion to do.


 


 

Sharing one thought at a time,


 


 

The Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts