OBX Marathon – the mother of all core melt downs coming

I was watching the NY marathon yesterday and happened to flip over to Facebook during the race. Someone had posted that the women's leader was either going to set a world record or have an epic melt down during the 2nd half of the race.

So I watched the rest of the race with interest to see how she would run.

For the record, I would be happy to melt down the 2nd half of any marathon and still run 75 minutes for it. I don't know about the rest of the world, but 75 minutes isn't even room temperature. I don't really consider that a melt down at all.

Anyway, with the inspiration of NY in the rear view mirror, my attention now turns to OBX this week.

Maybe it is one of the dumbest things that I have ever done, but I am stilling planning to go to OBX and still planning to run the marathon.

For anyone interested in seeing a monstrous melt down, all they need to do is watch my race this coming weekend. The question isn't if my hamstring is going to crumple in the dust, but when will it crumple. Will it be at the 5k, 10k, 10 mi, or the ½ marathon?

Personally, I am giving pretty good odds that it will happen between 10 miles and the ½ marathon point.

So why do it? Well, why not?

Remember the tire commercial where the guy shows a balding tire and says you are riding on borrowed time. Meaning, your tire could blow out at anytime.

I am taking this commercial a step further. My tire has already blown out and I am now driving along on that little donut of a tire that they say you should only drive at speeds no greater than 35 mph but you are still trying to do 65. Yep, that is me.

So you should look for me in the passing lane at OBX limping along somewhere between 0 miles per hour and 65. I will probably be closer to 0 than 65.


 

Sharing one thought at a time,


 

The Cool Down Runner


 


 

Comments

Popular Posts