Relay Run Capitain’s Meeting

Yesterday evening at the PDS track, Ben called a meeting for the Relay Run Captions of which I have volunteered to be one of the captains.

Ben calls the meeting at 6pm on a week day which I don't know about anyone but trying to cross Charlotte during rush hour is a pain. This was brought to bear yesterday when I left home at 5pm for a 6 pm meeting. I was making good time until a headed down Brookshire trying to get on to Independence Blvd. I guess someone tried to drive their car long the bank and hit of the lamp pole. Causing it to bend and appear ready to drop right on the road. Well, the police were blocking two of the three lanes. So there I was making good time when suddenly I spent the next 3 miles and 50 minutes crawling forward one car at a time.

When the clock in my car clicked over to 6pm, I was just passing the light pole. I thought it was better to be late than to not show up at all. At least, I wouldn't feel guilty for skipping.

But apparently, I wasn't the only struggling the Charlotte headaches yesterday. Only Ben and Gordon were there when I arrived. Talk about having some luck after all.

Eventually, a few other stragglers showed up. I will not name them due to the fact that I was late as well. Sometime, I have to protect the innocent and the guilty. LOL

The meeting was good. Ben went over the details about the race and contacting people as well as some of the rules. Ben would have a complete list but I will share a few here.

  • Runners should stay in the inside lane
  • Runners can only exchange the baton in the exchange zones
  • No runners can be paced
  • No runners can warm up on the track while waiting their turn
  • The order of runners is absolute so if some runs late, another runner can go in their place. Essentially, everyone bumps up one until they arrive.
  • If someone cannot make, they should call their captain who will then call one of the alternate runners to feel in.
  • Runners should arrived 90 minutes before they expected time to run
  • Runners should check-in to let their Captain know they have arrived.
  • There is question about lighting so if you are running at night, bring your head lamp.
  • Captains will be reaching out the respective relay members to confirm their times and to provide them with a contact number.
  • Progress updates will CRC facebook page during the day.


 

And above all come out, hang out, and enjoy a day with other runners as well as the support staff. These guys will be there the entire weekend.

I plan to spend a great deal of the weekend at PDS.

FYI, the list above is from my notes from last night's meeting. If you have questions, I am sure Ben would be happy to answer them.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts