Long Runs

After having so many people run marathons this past weekend Tobacco Road and LA etc, I was little hesitant to share my week end exploits. After all, I was just out running while everyone else was racing.

But who would I be if I didn't keep myself honest.

Saturday morning Mike and I met at the Mallard Creek Elementary school and headed out for a 24 mile run. We took in the north section first - all the way to Prosperity Church Road and then back heading south. We picked up the west branch next before hitting the dirt section of the run. Somewhere along the way, I saw my Garmin click over to 10 miles and I casually mentioned to Mike that I was already tired. I didn't get much sympathy from him. After all, I was the one that suggested we do the 24 miler.

Leaving the dirt section, we headed along the south end of the greenway and took a right on to the UNCC section. This was only the 2nd time that I have been on this section and I have to say – I like this extension. We took a quick water stop at the fountain near the UNCC tennis courts before making our way to the UNCC section. From there it was out to the end of the main greenway. The board bridge section is always nice even thou it is a bridge to nowhere.

Back to the dirt section we crossed the 18 mile barrier. My legs were dragging but I was hoping that it didn't show. I was really hoping to head back to the cars, but there weren't enough miles so we had to do the west section again. Instead of stopping at the end, we headed out into the neighborhood for a couple of reasons. One, I knew there was a nasty hill that we needed to climb. It makes heart break look tame. Second, I was trying to cross off enough miles that we could head directly back to our cars. This time we went all the way to Sugar Creek Rd.

By the time, we got back on to the greenway; we had just two miles left to run. Honestly, I was ready for it to be over.

Running with Mike is pretty good. Other than a few hills, our pace remained consist over the entire run. Our last 2 miles were the quickest with a 6:44 and finished it off 7:02.

I know it wasn't a marathon. Still, it part of a 100 mile week and it was my 3rd heavy week in row.

Now, there are 4 weeks left to Boston which means that I am in my final week of really heavy training. It also means that I will be running my typical longest run – 28 miles.

A question to ponder is "If you are tired after 24 miles, how do you expect to run 4 miles?"


 


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts