6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Workout

Megan and I had scheduled this workout for this morning. Then she laid a surprise on me. Ben would be joining. Oh, great, I would be watching him disappear in the sunset or in this case the sun rise. LOL

We hit the McAlpine course after a 2 mile warm up from the Old Bell entrance and rolled right into the workout. I was little sluggish getting started. Crossing the mile point in 5:43 Ben was about 15 seconds ahead and Megan was a few seconds behind. We rolled through the next 5 minute interval. Then, on the 4 minute interval I thought, I am going to at least make Ben work a little which turned out to be for about 200 yards. I did the same thing on the 3 minute interval and again on the 2 minute interval. Each time I was trying to hang on a little longer.

So with 1 minute interval looming last, I hatched a plan as climbed the hill on the 2nd trip around the 5k course. I would bump into him and maybe get him off stride just enough that I could get a head start.

Well, no plan ever works a cleanly as one plans it. The Bump and Run i.e. Sprint wasn't good enough and Ben was gone sprinting away from me. I was kind of stumbling along. That was bad but then Megan came blowing by me. I really think I just out smarted myself in this situation. I was barely able to catch up to her before our 1 minute interval was over.

Best of all I got in a great workout and enjoyed be pushed to improve.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner

Comments

Popular Posts