Notes from my 5k this past weekend

As many of you know I ran one of the middle legs on our CRC 100 by 5k relay team this past weekend.

So this morning, I downloaded the data from my Garmin on to my notebook and found some interesting stuff.

First, the PDS track is long. LOL According to my Garmin I ran 3.22 miles for the 5k so I am going to take this up with Ben. Maybe someone knows how we can shorten the track. Either we take something out of the middle or from the ends and then push it together. LOL.

Second thing, the PDS track has a hill on it. I know everyone will think I am kidding, but I am not. LOL. I measured the lowest point to be 692 ft above sea level and the highest point to be 750 ft. That's like a 10% grade over a ¼ mile. Personally, I think the hill is on the back stretch because that is where I felt the worst.

All this goes into my excuse bank for this run.

On a more serious note, something that really jumped out at me was my heart rate.

Avg BPM – Max BPM

  • 177 – 197
  • 197 – 207
  • 197 – 203
  • 194 – 199
  • 186 – 189
  • 178 – 191
  • 183 – 192
  • 174 – 191
  • 165 – 174
  • 161 – 174
  • 158 – 164

Average for the run was 177 with a max of 207.

Clearly, in the early miles my heart was running a lot higher than normal and much higher than I expected. Part of this could have been due to the cold temps and rain, possibly by running so late at night, or even just the adrenalin from knowing it was my turn to take the baton and not wanting to let my fellow team mates down. However, there is a silver lining. My heart rate started to really settle down after the first 2 miles. I just need another 23 miles to show it now and that opportunity comes in just 3 weeks.


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner.

Comments

Popular Posts