CRC World Record 5k Relay isn’t spoiled by showers

Yes, the showers arrived in Charlotte this weekend but they didn't spoil the party as the Charlotte Running Club Relay Team set the World Record for a 5k relay of 100 people in 30 hours 56 minutes and 49 seconds.

We should all give a lot of people a big pat on the back for their efforts starting with Aaron and Ben. Both took up the challenge of getting this event off the ground. But we also need to give a big thanks to many others including those who gave of food and water for our efforts. And we especially need to give thanks to the people who volunteered their time to be counters and cheer leaders etc in the freezing cold and rain. Being chilled to the bone while the rain is blowing sideways takes a lot of commitment when one could be home in bed.

For me the weekend was a combination of running and making a lot new friends. Being a part of such a large running club means that I will not know everyone. However, this weekend I took a huge step toward meeting a lot of my fellow CRC members. By late Saturday night I had lost count of the number of new people that I have met. And, to be brutally honest it was a fantastic opportunity to meet so many people that share the same passion for running as I do.

I wish I could end my post with what I have said above but I cannot leave without sharing my 5k relay experience.

I went off a little after 11 pm Saturday night as Billy and I were the Captains of the crew leading into the new day. The rain had been coming down for a while and was pouring pretty hard when I headed out for my warm miles. At least I thought they would be warm up miles. To my chagrin, my shoes and clothes were totally soaked by the time I had run ½ mile. By the time that I made it back to the track, my shoes seemed to have soaked all of the available water. I shed down to my racing apparel and stood shaking as I waited my turn in the relay. I don't think I have every tried to race when it was so cold and rainy. It was just pouring. And the wind was gusting so hard that the rain was coming at me sideways.

On my first lap I hit an 88 seconds. My legs were stinging and my body super tight. I could never find any rhythm. Each lap seemed to be a struggle and my legs just didn't want to turn over. What really helped was the crowd support. I want to send big "kudos" to Aaron, Paul, and anyone else that yell loudly at me. I needed all the encouragement that I could get. They were counting down the laps and I was so happy just to complete my turn and hand off the baton. As I walked into the infield someone asked me if I warmed up. The short answer was "no". I was shaking terribly. After making the rounds telling everyone thanks for their shouts of encouragement, I headed for my car. I turned on the heater and tried to change out of the wet clothes. Maybe 20 minutes later, I had finally dried off enough and got warm enough to roll back out of my car to continue my Captain and photography duties.

With the cold temps, monsoon rain, and blowing wind, I cannot remember ever running a race in such adverse conditions. Truly, I hope I never have too again.

To finish things off I want to send a huge round of congratulation to my fellow CRC Relay teammates. Individually we each did 1% of the work but as a team we combined to set a World Record and create a memory that will last forever.


 

Thank You!!!!!


 

Thoughts from the Cool Down Runner


 


 

Comments

Andrew said…
great write up and thanks for all of your work. Its funny to think after running a wet/cold 5k that you only amounted to 1% of the total effort... puts things into perspective about how big of an undertaking this was.

Btw... I'd say you did at least 1.5% when you take into account your captain duties and everything else.

Popular Posts